This weekend marks the one-year anniversary of the Charlottesville riot in which three people were killed, including one woman murdered by a white supremacist in a car attack and two police officers whose helicopter crashed. CBS’ Face the Nation dedicates the entire show to the topic, including its roundtable. Jake Tapper will talk with Terry McAuliffe on State of the Union and the subject will undoubtedly come up, and it seems certain to at least get some comment during the roundtable discussions on the other shows.
Otherwise, it looks like another weekend of Trumpland, as one might expect, albeit with lots of diverse angles. Most of the attention will likely fall on Chuck Todd on Meet the Press to see whether he presses Omarosa Manigault Newman on inconsistencies and errors already emerging from her tell-all book on her time at the White House. If that’s not Trumpish enough for you, both Kellyanne Conway and Rudy Giuliani will double-dip today; they’ll both appear on ABC’s This Week, and then split up to do Fox News Sunday and State of the Union. Michael Avenatti only gets one Sunday platform (ABC) to discuss his presidential prospects after his coming-out party in Iowa, running as the anti-but-sorta-like-Trump candidate. Even the MTP segment with John Kasich promises little more than handwringing over the Trumpian status quo.
For those looking for federal-policy discussions, it’s slim pickings. The best bet would likely be FNS, where two members of the Senate Armed Services committee will be on hand (after Conway), presumably to discuss defense policy and funding. Otherwise, the best one can say about this lineup in terms of serious national policy is that no one’s invited Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on to explain how government-run health care will help us avoid funeral expenses. Zombieland Rule #32: Enjoy the small things.
- ABC’s This Week — Kellyanne Conway; Rudy Giuliani; Michael Avenatti; Elijah Cummings; roundtable with Ana Navarro, Donna Brazile, Marc Short, Jonathan Swan
- CBS’ Face the Nation — Senators Tim Scott (R-SC) and Tim Kaine (D-VA); Charlottesville mayor Nikuyah Walker; roundtable with Jon Meacham, DeRay McKesson, Christian Picciolini, Jamelle Bouie.
- CNN’s State of the Union — Rudy Giuliani; former governor Terry McAuliffe; roundtable with Michael Caputo, Nina Turner, Amanda Carpenter, Bakari Sellers.
- Fox News Sunday — Kellyanne Conway; Senators Lindsey Graham (R-SC) and Jack Reed (D-RI); roundtable with Charlie Hurt, Mark Lotter, Lisa Lerer, Juan Williams.
- NBC’s Meet the Press — Gov. John Kasich; Omarosa Manigault Newman; roundtable with David Brooks, Rep. Donna Edwards (D-MD), former governor Pat McCrory, Kristen Welker.